Saturday, May 26, 2012

Teaching material for Chinese language

Recently I've been browsing some illustrators' blogs, it seems like they were either given professional training or went to art schools. Well maybe not all of them, but that made me think what I could do with my limited skills.

Early this week a brilliant idea popped up in my head! Maybe I could make drawings for teaching material.



OK, I know this is not Chinese, but I just came up with an idea of drawing sushi at work.


This character means "sushi" and read as "sushi" as well. Guess what they are? :)



It was always exciting to learn words of food, so I think it should be a lot easier for beginners to pick up those words.



I was going to draw more baskets of dim sum but I was quite sleep while making this drawing. Everybody knows what dim sum is, so I am not going to explaining here.


Except teaching Chinese with pictures, I'd like to introduce some street food we had from where I live.




In western countries, they call it "bubble tea" or "boba tea". Why it is called bubble tea is because we shake the shaker to mix the tea and ingredients such as tapioca pearls well, and this action will make bubble on the top. "Boba tea" comes from "boba milk tea", milk tea with big tapioca pearls. "Boba" means "woman with big boobs" in Chinese, it's kinda disrespectful to be honest, but I still have no idea how big tapioca pearls related to woman with big boobs...

  
I planned to make a drawing of a bowl of steamed rice, but I failed on the shadow of rice grains, so I decided to make a drawing of a bowl of noodles instead. As you can see this is Japanese ramen, miso based soup of course, with roasted pork slice, boiled egg, chopped scallion, tree fungus and kamaboko. 


No comments:

Post a Comment